Where reference marks are needed away from the edge of a garment Part, such as for the position of pockets, button hole, darts and similar features, a hole is often drilled through all the plies of fabric in the lay.
Features of Drill Machine:
- The drill mounting includes a motor, a base plate with a hole to allow the drill to pass through, and a spirit level to ensure that the base is horizontal and hence the drill vertical.
- The momentum of drill is completed at 90 ̊ angle in the fabric lay by the level of sprit.
- On many fabrics the drill is used cold and the hole remains visible until the sewing operator comes to use it.
- For tightly woven fabric the hole is permanent for a long time.
- On looser weave fabrics, where the hole may close up, a hot drill is used, which will slightly scorch (দগ্ধ) or fuse the edges of the hole to make it permanent for a long time.
- A hypodermic (or dye spot) drill may also be used which leaves a small deposit of paint on ply of fabric to find the mark place easily.
- All drill holes must eventually be concealed (অদৃশ্য) by the construction of the garments.
Advantage of Drill Machine:
- This machine is needed to mark on the end of components of dresses specially for setting pocket, dart & so on.
- It can make the hole permanently for a long.
Dis-advantage of Drill Machine:
- The use of machine is limited.
Uses/Application of Drill Machine:
It is used to make hole on the fabric for button attaching & to make reference mark for attaching different small components on the garments.